Sunday 30 April 2017



 WE ARE EVE...


I rode off Eve, assumed there was nothing she had to teach me.
It was foolish on my part because I know all of those stories have purpose,
I just assumed her purpose was to be the first woman, alongside Adam in the garden,
the two of them bringing sin into the world.
I never thought highly of her, I really should have known better…

I believed the story the way it had always been told to me, in a culture that I understood,
I never considered that Eve could be truly equal, she sinned, and to me that tainted her.
But really the question is why did I let that get in the way? I sin to, by my own standards that makes me a ride-off, and maybe for a while I believed I was a ride off.

Eve is significant. It wasn’t until I read the story for myself that I understood who she was.
Eve is not an act of sin, we define her by it, but it is not the reason she was created.
Eve was created out of an act of love, she was formed out of a half, and together they make a whole.
She is half, not the little half, not even the big half, but a side of her own. And I think we deny her that.

I never thought I would identify with Eve, other than the fact that I too am female.
But truth be told I fight like Eve,
I resist what I am told, I argue and fight, refusing to do the wrong thing.
I’ve given in like Eve, not wanting to cause trouble, falling down so that I do not stand above others.
I always want to do the right thing. 

Eve sinned, she knew she was sinning, but given she had never experienced an absence of the closeness of God it would have been hard to fathom the extent of what she did.
I’ve sinned like Eve, knowing exactly what I was giving up, haven’t we all? 

I don’t excuse her, but that’s not my job. She was judged and punished by God so its not for me to decide she is more or less than who God said she was.
But I refuse to believe that she was weak, that we must consider her less, I refuse to pass harsh judgement when I should not even be judging. 

I think I underestimate her, and it wasn’t until I stopped reading her the way I was told, that I stopped reading her in my own context and culture that I truly began to understand Eve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment